Birdbath activity

It has been hot and dry recently so we have been keeping up the supply of water to our bird baths.  They do get used quite a lot and just as the birds travel in mixed feeding flocks in Winter, in Summer they seem to travel in Mixed Bathing flocks.  One such arrived at the bath today: the chaos had calmed down a bit by the time I got my camera.

A Yellow-faced Honeyeater.
 Ibid, with an accompanying Silvereye.
 As usual this was not that obvious which species it was but I decided Brown Thornbill.
When I first glanced at this bird I became excited about the amount of rufous feathers.  But then I calmed down and realised it was a very young Grey Fantail.
If it had been a Rufous Fantail this view would have shown the black on the upper breast and brown tail (with a very bright rufous base to the tail).
 This Superb Fairywren didn't make it to the bath, butyou can't have too many images of this gorgeous species.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.