Wet bits of Bungendore revisited

Earlier today a post was submitted to the COG Chatline highlighting the many waterfowl in the Bungendore area.  I was immediately struck by the mention of Australian Shelduck as I hadn't "used" them in Bird-A-Day this year.  So I grabbed the optics and headed off in the Jetta.

I first stopped at Trucking Yard Lane, and soon spotted the Plumed Whistling Ducks.
Note that they are accompanied by a pair (yes, 1 male and 1 female) of Australian Shelduck so to some extent that was Mission Accomplished.  On scanning the feed area behind the dam it was apparent that there were several other Shelduck there: my eventual count was 40.

Some of the Plumed Whistling Ducks took to the water.  This is usually a reaction to threats, but nothing was visible (and I hadn't changed position so wasn't the cause).
 The birds in the general area seemed very skittish.  When I arrived the area in front of the hay racks was covered with Cockatoos of various species but they suddenly flew up in the air and settled in the trees ....

 .. or the power lines.  It was surprising to see so many Little Corellas at the site.
I'd normally expect to find a raptor somewhere near by after an episode like this but couldn't do so today.

So I took myself off to the Big Dam on Lake Rd which was as expected replete with Freckled Ducks (possibly escaping the hunting season in Victoria).  The Chestnut Teal was a bonus.
 I have no idea whether this Freckled Duck is using its foot to clean its beak or vice versa.
 There were a slew of small plovers around.  I counted at least 7 Black-fronted Dotterels ...
and 3 Red-kneed Dotterels (too far away to photograph).

On my way home I stopped at the Burrows Lane Dam and noticed several (about 10) Whistling ducks there and a whle bunch of Pacific Black Ducks and Grey Teal  Before I could really count them a Harley-Davidson went over the nearby rail crossing which spooked them all.  I don't know if the Whistling Ducks were visiting from the Trucking Yard Lane Dam or should be added to that count.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.