Flowers - and grommets - burst out all over June

After I posted last night matters got interesting on the deck.

We were visited several times by a brushie person.
When it arrives on site it lands with a heavy thump  which contraindicates peaceful sleep.  I understand why a number of folk in Canberra are offering visiting rights to the Turner Powerful Owl.  On the night in question it took the hint and did not (re)appear after I arrived in Lalaland

The moths last night were bigger.  This is a swift moth - I believe Oxycampus dirempa.
Here is a close up of its head and antennae.
So after a good nights kip, I noticed cloud was about which suggested sunrise could be spiffy.  Indeed it was.

I reckon the sunrises over the Inlet are definitely one of the major attractions of the area.

My garden images were from a little further up the road today.  Both cultivars of Grevillea.

Birding got off to a semi-good start when Frances saw an Azure Kingfisher very early in our dog walk.  I say "semi-good" as I missed out.  Then about 500m further along I saw another, and then about 1500 further yet another!  Woo-hoo!!  Unfortunately they didn't make it to Bird-of-the-day since walking in the heath (see below) I saw my second ever Southern Emuwren.

At a more prosaic level New Holland Honeyeaters  ...
.. and Red Wattlebirds are quite amusing species.
This is the aftermath of a habitat reduction burn on Genoa Road.
On the far side of that road the heath was absolutely splendid.  This was the best example of Epacris impressa flowering I can recall seeing anywhere.
Here is the red form ...
.. and here is some white.
Note the condensation on the top florets.  The track we were walking on had some very soggy bits (so we ended with a soggy doggy as herself likes wading through puddles) which was surprising as it was pure sand.

Another flower, possibly Scaevola sp.  More condensation droplets.
A couple of outbreaks of fungus from the dog-walk.
An interesting spider web (have I mentioned water droplets already?)
Later in the day we visited the tip.  The metal and white goods drop off is adjacent to ...
... the green waste area which was my focus.
After that we swung by Bastion Point to see what shorebirds were around.  Very few was the answer: a couple of Pied Oystercatchers and a dozen Masked Lapwings were all.  There were a lot (~500) of Crested Terns and these two pelicans.
 I hope they gave the tandem a good wash-down afterwards!

As the surf was no more than 0.5m high it wasn't challenging.  However a bunch of grommets seemed to be having fun.
The lighthouse in the background is on Gabo Island

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.