Invertebrates pt 2 (with some wotsits)

Arachnophobes should note the use of the term 'invertebrate' rather than 'insect' and either dodge this post or check their prescription!

'Wotsit' is a technical term used on the COG chatline to refer to photographs in which crucial identification features are missing.  That is to be distinguished from photographs of an entire specimen are given, but I cannot identify below about family level (which is situation normal).

A cicada taking a rather unhealthy rest on Widgiewa Rd.
 This is a shield bug, possibly Nezora viridula.
 I believe this to be an fly (Order Diptera) rather than a bee (Order Hymenoptera ) as it appears not to have an obvious waist and only forewings.  I will take a punt on it being a member of the family Muscidae.
This is a spider.  I thought it rather attractive but thus far haven't managed to confirm its identity. Referring to my new acquisition "A guide to the Spiders of Australia" by Framenau, Baehr and Zborowski it seems this is Backobourkia sp.  There appear to be 3 species in the genus and the range maps in the Atlas of Living Australia suggest that B. brouni is the most likely here.
I thought this close-up of its eyes and bitey parts might assist me when I go through the reference books.
In fact a distinguishing feature of the genus is "strong abdominal spines" and these appear to fit the bill.
Wotsit 1.  I suspect this is some form of beetle, on the assumption that I have an image of the abdomen!
Wotsit 2.  Possibly a small sticky spider or possibly a case moth starting its collection of material for a case.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.