Spring home and away

A Spring morning started off rather noisily at home on Wednesday with many decibels emitted by the small dog from her preferred position.  This was the cause:
Evidently the lad on the left reckoned he was "hard enuf" as he sank his toes right inna der fork (a technical term borrowed from the Ankh-Mrpork City Watch) of his conspecific.  It was then on for all concerned, until I got fed up with the noise from the bedroom and hurled a wellie at them.

This morning was a bit more peaceful and, in the absence of a bogus weather forecast - another difference to yesterday - I went for a walk in a reserve off Urriara Rd to see what was there. I was hoping for orchids and my hopes rose dramatically when I found a patch of at least 200 flowers of Cyanicula caerulea soon after setting off.  This is about 5% of the area and working on the image I find I marked 13 flowers (in some cases two plants very close togther).with red circles..
 I know I have shown lots of these but they are pretty!
A little later I found a lone Petalochilus fuscata.  They also get repeat images on the spiffy rule.

A keen orchid lover friend has commented that taking notice of  'evidence of orchids' is the first step on a very slippery path but I thought these Thelymitra leaves were almost pretty enough in and of themselves.
 [Putting in a virtual parenthesis, when we got home I went to check more closely on the Waxlip (Glossodia major) situation.  Getting down and dirty I found a whole lot of buds.  Perhaps we are only a week or so off some flowers.?]
 Back at Urriara there were quite a bunch of flowers around.  Some of the hillsides had a huge number of Leucopogon fletcheri mixed ni with other non-flowering - or in some cases dead - bushes.  That didn't photograph well but here is a close-up.
The other heath I found was Brachyloma daphnoides, which I consider has a very attractive flower.  Theer are other views on this but you be the judge,

 Early nancys formed drifts in an open area.
 A faintly ringed male ...
 .. and an obviously fertilised female.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.