Some more natural history

I think this little insect crawling on my study window is a weevil.  The top view interested me with the detail of the legs.
 Being on a window I was able to also get a shot of its underside!
 My attention was then drawn to the cacophony of a flock of about a dozen Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos feeding down by the Creek.  A large, loosely held flock has been around for several days.  (When the components all coalesced last weeks I think there were about 120 birds in total.)  This one was being raucous in a red box.
These were feeding on the cones of a nearby Pinus radiata: notice the ripped off cone held by the upper bird.
 This species is one of the few thought to have benefited from the vast pine plantations strewn around SE Australia in the recent past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.