Mainly seen around Acton

This morning we toddled in to Canberra to see grand-daughter Arabella (and her proud parents.  All are doing well, especially Arabella.  She is now up to 6kg and very active, both mentally and physically!
A few weeks ago Frances attended a sculpture symposium at NGA and as a result wanted to wander round parts of Acton (a suburb in the ACT not the part of Ealing UK which, in the 1960s,  used to contribute 100% to sales of lurid purple Ford Zodiacs).

The first sculpture we saw was this.  I was not the model, but it does serve to remind me that I need to lose a few kilos!
 I suspect this was contract decoration not guerrilla graffiti (nor indeed guerrilla pingituri).
 The devlopers of this area seem to like crows, using them to hold clocks ...
 .. and provide shelter around doors
 Inside another building was this rather impressive peacock, designed to camouflage an array of mail boxes.It seems to be covered with leather (or vinyl or naugahide - just imagine how many naugas had to be killed to cover that).  There was some notoriety a few weeks back when some guests in the building abused a few substances and then climbed over it.
 Near the peacock were these works affixed to a ceiling!
 Again the image isn't anything to do with me, but it does add fun to this park.
 Nice foliage and some veggie beds.
 The main business was finding a globe which forms a work called UNA (in ANU - hmmm I don't think the reflection is an accident) by Wolfgang Buttress.  here is a straightforward and distant view of the globe behind one of the libraries in the Science area (I refuse to call it a Precinct).
 A snap through a window in the trendy new building.
 Another window, another snap.
 A close up.  The specks are not an indication of my lens needing to be cleaned but some of the 9,000 holes in the globe representing every star visible with the naked eye from Earth.  They are in the correct positions relative to each other but sizes had to be adjusted to make the small ones visible while constraining the biggies t the space available.
 When one looks through a hole you see all the holes (or stars, your call. both on the far side of the outer globe or reflected in the highly polished inner globe.  I'm sure you can all work out what is what here.
A final comment is that I was cursing that I had left my camera at home.  Then I remembered my phone!  The ease of doing this can be contrasted with the appalling trouble I had with my first digital camera about 12 years ago!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.