ANPS does Nerriga/Endrick

After Monday's great trip to Robertson I wondered if anything could match it.  I think the ANPS trip to the pagodas on the Eastern side of the Endrick River, just past Nerriga did achieve that.  Repeating my warning from Monday, this post has 32 images in it so I have tried to keep the text to a minimum.

The key to flora (and fauna) is the landscape/geology so I will start with some summarising shots.  Here is a view from the first stop showing the sandstone.
Part of the soil had been taken up into large ant-mounds.
The overall impression was of great diversity and a wonderful display of flowers.
Here follow my photos of the dicotyledonous flowers with such names as I have been able to remember (from those provided by members on the day) or to link from the walk summary put out by Ros Cornish.  I will try to improve on these over the next short while, but thought it better to get the images out asap!  (Since first posting this, Ros has provided some specific advice on a few plants with which I had 'issues': thank s as always to her!)
Banksia spinulosa
 Boronia algida
 The next two images are of Eucalyptus sieberi - the Silvertop Ash.  As we drove along, and as we looked out the silver tops of the trees were clearly visible (and beautiful).
At one point I was able to get a close up of the flowers (without going into details this did involve holding my camera strap in my teeth)!

 Epacris microphylla - the heathiest heath!
 A Flannel flower (with luck Actinotus helianthi) was a great enhancement to a cutting for the new road.
 A very attractive Grevillea baueri ssp. asperula. ....
and a somewhat sparser G. patulifolia.
The next two images are Hakea dactyloides.  The second is of some 'nuts': well enhanced with lichen.


 Hybanthus monopetalus
 Isopogon anethifolius
 Kennedia prostrata - the so called running postman.  These days the postie won't get off his motorbike or out of his car let alone run!
 This is a large Leptospermum rotundifolium: first a spray, then a close up of this beautiful flower.

 A yellow pea Phyllota phylicoides.
 An extra-ordinary Pimelia linifolia!
 Philotheca scabra ssp. latifolia
 A sward of Tetratheca bauerifolia: quite astonishing in its profusion.
Now let us get into the Orchids!

The first were seen right alongside some of the parked cars at the first stop.  These were Calochilus platychilus.  At the second stop some multiflowered tall versions of this species were found.
 

Within 5 metres of the tall orchids we found a cluster of another 'beardie' C. campestris.

Very close to this area - in which there was very, very little soil on a sandstone ledge a wonderful array of sun orchids (including some Thelymitra carnea)
 were found waiting for a little more heat to burst forth.  There were probaly 10 plants of this species in about 3 square metres!  Even more Thelymitra sp were found nearby, also waiting patiently.

On our way back to the cars we stopped to check some bird orchids found earlier.  Following our field reference to Orchid Species of the Shoalhaven these have subsequently been confirmed as Simpliglottis chlorantha.  As the plants are very localised, and these appear to be growing at a higher than previously recorded elevation the information has been passed on to the experts!

As might be expected from this profusion of flowers there were a lot of interesting insects around.  Thanks to Roger Farrow for identifying these (and pointing out the weevil to me).  Unfortunately I will need further advice on the ID of the first one, since I couldn't read my writing for the name Roger gave me!  It is definitely a Psednura - I wrote the spelling down very carefully this time - and the distribution of Psednura pedestris makes it look the better bet.

 This is a horse fly.  It is also very small, so I am quite proud of the image!
 A green and yellow spider!
 This is a weevil - possibly Rhonitia sp - mimicking a lycid beetle
So what of the birds?  With all this floral action I am afraid I didn't give them much attention.  I had one target species - the Rock warbler (Origma solitaria) which is restricted to these sandstone cliffs.  Within 5 minutes of getting out of the car one basically flew to 5m from me and vanished before I could photograph it.  Great addition to my year list!

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
Great outing, Martin.
I really like the Beehive country there.
Good range of flowers, (especially Orchids).
Glad you at least saw the Rock Warbler.
Denis

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Maslins beach rules