Matters reptilian

Some years back I referred to a site as being "infested with reptiles".  An eminent local naturalist suggested I meant "enhanced with reptiles": I think it depends on circumstances (and to some extent the type of reptile).

We are currently having a preview of Summer and it is bringing the reptiles out in numbers.  I have put images of a Shingleback and a Long-necked tortoise in the linked posts.

A few days back a friend who lives on Hoskinstown Plain commented that he'd seen his first 'tiger' of the year: he wasn't referring to a stripey pusscat nor a Tamil separatist.  Last Saturday, on our way back from Tallaganda a rather long snake - I think an Eastern Brown Snake - was crossing the road just outside Rossi (I'd definitely regard that as an infestation).  I also saw a Bearded Dragon posing beside the road.

This morning I was over near Lake George when I encountered 2 Shinglebacks in circumstances which suggested they might have preferred privacy.  One scuttled off quickly but the other paused long enough for me to get this image.
The particular interest in this image is the width of the lizard.  I wondered initially if she was somewhat gravid but that is contraindicated by the activity before I arrived.  So I assume that they flatten out their body as a threat as do dragons.

A little further along I came across my first Eastern Blue-tongued Lizard of the season.  This was a rather colourful specimen.

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
One difference between the Southern Tablelands and the mis-named Southern Highlands, is the Shingleback Lizard.
We don't get them here.
We do have Blue-tongues, even here on the Basalt soil.
Nice finds.
I note you didn't get a photo of the Brown Snake.
Cheers
Denis
Flabmeister said…
I am not 100% sure, but suspect my passengers would object to me wielding a camera at 90kph on a dirt road while trying to avoid a reptile!

Martin

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.