Glossodia major and other notable native plants

While taking the small dog for a walk this morning Frances noted our first examples of Glossodia major, the Waxlip Orchid, growing in the verge of Whiskers Creek Rd.  These are far from unusual in this area but being the first of the season here are some photographs.


Of course they also earn photo points by being rather spiffy!  On returning to the area with camera (see below for results) I found at least 3 additional colonies.

This sighting led me to explore the points on our property where I knew there to be Glossodia leaves (or past sites of flowering).  The nearest I got was finding a couple of buds, which I estimate to be a day or two off flowering.  There were also some nipped off stalks with a pile of 'roo droppings nearby: thus the usual suspects are hoist by their own pootard. 

On returning to the roadside several other interesting plants revealed themselves.  What follows is in order of discovery and not 'interest'.

Indeed, the first species Brachyloma daphnoides has been very evident for a couple of months with prominent buds.  It has been suggested - no names, no pack drill - that the buds are attractive than the flowers.  Judge for yourselves.

A little further along, in a narrow track through some 2m high Kunzea ericoides I found a beautiful Tetratheca bauerifolia.
Two 'yellow things' completed my samples from that roadside.  The first is Microseris lanceolata (the Yam Daisy) and the second Leptorhyncus squamatus (Scaly Buttons).

My final offerings came from our property and are included since apparently not many folk take images of the seed pods of Acacia gunnii.  The first shows a pod just forming, while in the second the pods are well open.

Following from Denis's comment (below) about the likelihood of insect damage having caused the 'unpleasant' appearance of the A.gunnii I took myself and my camera to inspect a few things.  I did not find any hungry insects (not any 'typical' Acacia fruits) on the few A gunnii I checked over but did discover this caterpillar giving some A. buxifolia a bit of a workout.
I shall keep looking for the definitive fruit image!

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
Hi Martin
Lovely Glossodia major plants. They are always "welcome" when one finds them, like bumping into an old friend.
Nice shot of the Scaly Buttons - showing why it is so named.
The Acacia gunnii looks like an unpleasant plant. Can I say that?
I cannot make out quite what the structure of the seed-head is all about. Seems odd. I wondered if there has been insect attack, or similar? PlantNET shows seed pods to be quite conventional (for an Acacia).
Cheers
Denis
Flabmeister said…
Denis

Following your message I have also looked up PlantNET and see what you mean about conventional Acacia pods. I shall track down some other plants and see if I can clarify the matter.

Martin

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.