Galahs do luvvie-duvvie

On my way up the block to check on (inter alia) the progress of the Glossodia (no progress to report) I noticed this Galah hanging on the outside of a nest hollow.
This caused me to wonder if Ms Galah was in the hole brooding some eggs.  However on looking a little more closely I spotted another galah a little higher up the tree (and to the right).
That was I thought quite OK, it is just supervising the work from a higher position.  Situation normal for galahs as for humanity.  I have subsequently looked more closely at the image and realise that there are two galahs on the higher perch (only the tail of the second is really visible).  This caused my interpretation of the next two shots to change a little.

I had thought that the worker had downed tools to have itself a little smooch.  However I now realise that it was a totally separate pair - perhaps one had brought the other along to point out that a good partner builds a nice nest hole?   If that was the case it doesn't seem to have worked  as a distraction method.  I still like the images!

A couple of hours after these images were taken the action got somewhat hotter: baby galahs are indicated somewhere in the not too distant future.  Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I did not have my camera with me at the time

The questions of
  • what happened to the worker;and 
  • whether someone is in the hole 
remained open for a while.  Later in the morning - just before the X-rated activity referred to above - there was much screeching from the hollow and a very annoyed Galah emerged.  A Pied Currawong was sitting on a nearby branch and it was not welcome.  The Galah kept opening its wings - thereby revealing the full extent of the pink plumage and bowing at the Currawong while screeching.  This is referred to in HANZAB as the Heraldic Display! Eventually the Currawong got tired of the noise and went away. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.