It ain't arf cold, Mum!

I have commented in a couple of recent posts about the lack of warmth overnight.  The past evening was the coldest yet.  I do not make this call based upon the official records but upon the fact that our water pipes froze lat night for the first time this year.  They also took 4 kettles of hot water to get them thawed.  (After 2 kettles on the pump inlet failed I went and gave the outlet at the tank a serve also!)

We have a thermometer on the verandah which reads 'warm' by about 5 degrees (due to the shelter and - presumably - some radation from the house) but gives a fair relative measure.  That was as low as I have seen it this year, and took a long while to show any increase in temperature,

Once the sun did rise things were generally quite attractive, so I went and took a few snaps of ice crystals on foliage.





The next day (30 July) started equally cold, and again our pipes were frozen.  Later in the day I spoke with a near neighbour who had recorded -10, rather than the wimpy -6.5 at the airport: he said it was only the second time in 10 years that his pipes had frozen.  The Creek had ice on it, as did the Joycea stalks beside it.

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
I heard that Canberra got a -8*C. Never sure of those radio reports are accurate or wishful thinking. But your ice crystals are convincing.
.
My winter flowers are now in full bloom. I put up some "pretties" to relieve the heaviness of yesterday's post.
.
Cheers
Denis
Flabmeister said…
Denis

-8 was what the ABC TV weather person said last night. I think that must have been about dawn as the on-line mininmum to about 6:30 was not quite that chilly.

Today (30/7) is just about as cold and I am waiting for the sun to rise so that I cn go a do another defrost!

Martin
Denis Wilson said…
My old house (1936 vintage) in Reid had external pipes, which regularly froze.
Needed a total re-plumbing job, with pipes moved inside, and also "lagged".
But even that would be challenged by -8.
Those are heroic numbers in my book.
Cheers
Denis

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.