ANPS does Black Mountain

I cannot recall why Black Mountain acquired its name.  It certainly had it before the process of  habitat, sorry hazard, reduction incinerations gained political imprimatur.  Despite the best efforts of the fire people there was some interesting stuff around today.

As usual I will begin with some snaps of angiosperms.  I'll begin with a nice set of burls on a Scribbly Gum (Eucalypus rossii).
Moving right along, to plants in flower rather than stress.  The first is notable, because I can generally recognise a Hakea!  This one is - according to the authorities - H. decurrens.
Next up is Coronidium oxylepis lanatum.  This wasn't the best specimen we saw today - and there were quite a few evident - but I had the camera out, pursuing a very uncooperative Hymenopterid, so snapped the flower
Towards the end of the loop we came across some Cryptandra amara.  One might say the androecium is certainly cryptic!
Seeing as we have moved into 'white' let us stay there with White Punk.  No, not John Lydon and certainly not Kurt Cobain.  Rather Laetiporus portentosus
Note the white spores beneath the fruiting body.  I was surprised how few fungi there were around on this walk: the only other I noticed were a few small bracket fungi.

To keep the bryophytologists happy here are some snaps of lichen.


I will conclude with an image of a spider.
It was suggested this was a Wolf Spider but it didn't look like the Wolf that bit me at Bulls Head many, many years ago.  Rather, a web search suggests this is a male Red-headed Mouse Spider Missulena occatoria.  Noting that it has rained recently one might conclude from the linked article that this poor lad was out looking for love.  Probably good for him that he hasn't found it!

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
Great photo of the red-headed Mouse Spider.
Never seen one here. We get a small thing which looks similar, called the Red and Black Spider.
When I first found it, I searched and got your spider - but I was wrong.
Yours looks ready to strike.
Keep fingers away.
Denis
Flabmeister said…
Denis

I have a memory that I pursued a Red and Black Spider for some time up in the Brindabellas. It wouldn't stop and pose like this one did: thus no snap (neither photographic nor mandibular).

Martin

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.