That was fun, plus some panoramas

This is primarily a post about photographic panoramas with some, IMHO, cute examples. I have added several more comments etc to my page about Blogger being broken - which it obviously isn't right now.


The need for a panoramic photo system  came up in discussion of attempting to capture a group of 10 White-faced herons, spread over about 50 metres of swamp shoreline in a single frame.  I recalled doing this in the past (4 cameras back) but hadn't been able to find the function on my current camera (a Panasonic DMC FZ40).  So I called up the manual - a benefit of having it as a .pdf file rather than dead trees - and sure enough there was the facility.  This did mean I had to install the software that came with this camera rather than continuing to use that which I got 3 cameras back but that is not a problem.

So the next morning I took the camera on our morning exercise and took 5 images of the Tallaganda skyline, covering a field of view from about NE round to about SSE.  Here is the result.
The exposure changes a bit and a couple of stitch lines are visible but it is rather good.  This led me to look for any old panoramas I might have around.  I was particularly looking for on of the Manhattan skyline, which I took from somewhere in Brooklyn while on a long run, but failed to track that down (I did find one with that title but I'm pretty certain it is of Noo Joisey rather than Manhattan).  However here is one looking the other way, over Brooklyn and Queens , taken at night from the roof (37th floor) of Camp Butterfield (320 E46th St) .
I also found a shot of Table Mountain in Cape Town, Seth Efrica, which I took from the glass walled lift (elevator, for any readers from New Jersey or Manhattan) of the hotel in which we were staying.
One of the issues with the old software had been that one could only use photos taken for panoramic purposes with the specific model of camera.  It appeared that this system was a tad more generic and on finding a bunch of photos of the Financial District of NYC taken in 2006 from the Staten Island Ferry I decided to let the newer software take a crack at stitching them together.  Here is the result.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.