Southside Schools Cross-Country Champs

Let me begin with an irrelevancy.  A "Country Club" tends to be where the rich and famous gather to cosset their bodies and schmooze each other while dressed elegantly.  A "Cross-country Club" is where a bunch of runners gather to hammer their bodies, wearing relatively little clothing of any degree of elegance, across yukky terrain.

Whatever, a friend's male child had been selected by his school (through winning the school's cross country championship for his age group) to run in the ACT Southern Zone Championship.  I rocked along to see him strut his stuff.

On arriving at the starting area I found a whole pile of young persons getting ready for their events. I assumed that my friends were out on the course ready to urge their offspring along,  So I wandered off to see what was left of the Bush Capital after the firies had visited.
There was still some un-burnt country visible but not in the direction the runners were coming from, so was being treated with appropriate derision.
Eventually the mob appeared.  The lad was travelling well in the lead pack and at a fair velocity so no image is available from this stage.  .By the second lap positioning had been sorted (in terms of visibility) and while the velocity was still making my legs/lungs/most every part of my body hurt from watching it I was able to get an image.
It wasn't clear to me where 'daylight' was at this stage.  Style was very evident:
As the squad reappeared after the third turn, it was clear that daylight was now running second ...
.. (click image for a bigger view) and style was being maintained.
Shortly thereafter daylight went for third as well as second.
Apparently the next student behind made a challenge on some downhill  but was well intimidated by a withering assault on the final uphill stretch.  Very well done BW!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.