Yet more insects in April

I thought that April would be a very quiet month for insects in particular.  However I found as noted elsewhere that there is still a lot of insect action at the end of the month.  This has coincided with me getting a bit of a grip on the capacity of my new Panasonic FZ40 camera.

Here is a Common Brown butterfly dining on a Buddleia (and I really don't care if that is a mis-spelling : it's what I have used for decades).
Our two tatty Buddleias are really delivering the goods as far as butterflies are concerned.   I also snapped a Cabbage White (possibly under the category of Know thy enemy) gobbling some nectar.
Moving across the plot the Helichrysum bracteatum is still proving attractive to insects (as well being very pleasing to our eyes).  This a hoverfly (family Syrphidae) paying a visit.
I presume the body part shaped like a riding boot is in fact the proboscis!

A similar - possibly the same  - plant hosted a wasp on 29 April.  It appeared to be dining on 'stuff' it was finding on the petals rather than seeking out nectar.  Judging by the end of the abdomen it is a female but has wings so it isn't a Flower Wasp.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Maslins beach rules