Invertebrates of April

I originally started this post with "The number and diversity of insects has, not surprisingly dropped off.  Presumably the cooler weather and drier conditions (no significant rain for nearly 3 weeks) have persuaded them to go  away (or die)."  However that seems to have been a little pessimistic (or optimistic if you don't like insects etc) and I have got quite a bit of action.  There are also some images of invertebrates in my 'week of walks" posts and the "interesting insects" post.

I rate the following image of an Imperial Jezabel Delias harpalyce as one of the best I have ever taken.  Its feeding on a Buddleia (also known as a butterfly bush).  Click to get the full image.
Frances found some interesting examples of Orchard Butterfly (Papilio aegeus) caterpillars on our lemon trees.  My guess is that these are second and fourth instars (largely based on size).  They were removed.


Continuing in the larval direction, I finally found a Christmas Beetle (Anoplognathus rugosus) larva when I had my camera handy.   This one was lurking in the depths of a compost heap, presumably doing its share of helping the compost break down.
A day later I found this small member of the Hymenoptera - possibly a paper wasp - apparently feeding on a Helichrysum flower.  I haven't been able to find any images with the large yellow eye patches so at the moment it joins the large array of unidentified, but interestingly shaped insects!


Continuing the battle against leg-ism here is a slug which Frances found under a rock!
But wait there is more leglessness.  I have never included a shot of the worms whch do such a great job of stirred up the shale in our garden!
Moving away from hexapedalism in the opposite direction Frances called me to check out a spider doing a number on a caterpillar it had trapped.  The rotten arachnid wouldn't stay still, so this is the best image I got.
A little later I found a ladybird (I suspect Harmonia conformis) crawling around on a citrus blossom.
It then transferred itself to my hand where Frances got the snap.
On 18 April the air was somewhatmisty at El rancho leading to lotsa spiders webs being visible in the Kunzea.  The second image below is a nest of some arachnid (I think).

The next three images were taken a little later in the day showing that the insects still like the flowers (presumably with nectar therein) on the Helychrysum bracteatum.


I have no idea how the butterfly was able to flit around with about 30% of the area of its RH wings abraded!

Getting back to arachnids this specimen had a web set up in the garden outside our sun room.  I was taken with the red legs!
Note the prey bundled up below the spider. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.