The "standard" Autumn Orchid

This is IMHO Eriochilus cuculata or Parson's bands.  We did see this on the Settlers Track as well as the more flamboyant Magenta Autumn Orchid but I have saved posting about it until I found one on the home block.  That happened this morning 25 February as we patrolled the place with the dog.  Here is a snap:
Note the much paler colour.  I'd like to say note the absence of hairs on the sepals but I can see a few small ones! However they are not as big as the other day so i will merely mutter about taxonomists and move on.

In case you wonder why they are called Parsons Bands look at this post from the Nature of Robertson and learn!  It really pleases me when Google puts such a relevant post up front!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.