Of Spinebills and grasshoppers

Before the floods distracted me I posted about the difficulties of photographing Eastern Spinebills.  I have attempted to follow the sage advice contained in the comment to that post by Denis Wilson but have still failed to get a non-Impressionist snap! 

This is the best I have managed so far:
This was taken in the shades of the evening so to add to the general difficulty of capturing this highly mobile species is the matter of dodgy light.  However it does show the overall colour pattern of the species, and the blurring shows the rapid wing-beats as it feeds on a salvia flower.

On a COG walk yesterday a male Mistletoebird was more cooperative: only the distance and my poor motor control (personal, not camera drive) prevented a good photo.  Again it shows the diagnostic colour pattern. 
This can be contrasted with the highly cooperative behaviour of a grasshopper.  It clung determinedly to its piece of grass and I got some very close shots.  Here is one of them.
I am totally unaware of the taxonomy of grasshoppers so will go no further in attempting to define this happy chappy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.