A bunch of animals

This post has very little to do with events on Friday night.  There is an obscure link as will be revealed below (as it appears in this blog, possibly the word 'obscure' is redundant).

The first three topics are various attractive insects.  I am putting the images in ascending order of vitality rather than attempting anything taxonomic.

The first specimen was decidedly cooperative in staying still.  In fact it is unlikely to move of its own volition ever again.  It is (or rather was) a wasp that is noticed lying on a sheet of cardboard used to collect the guano from treecreepers that roost under our eaves. 

I found the pattern of veins very attractive as are the red bands on the abdomen.  When clicked to appear larger, the shaping of the claws and other leg parts is remarkably fine (in a threatening sort of way).

The next specimen was equally cooperative but still alive.  It is a moth - presumably a nocturnal species - that had decided to roost on one of our verandah purlings.
Not so flashy as the wasp, but quite pleasant in a pinstriped sort of way.

I have added this bit in later, so have to define "topic"  as being an Order rather than a species to get the two moths in the same 'topic' and thus keep the topic count to 3.  Equally I could define the topic as 'live but lethargic' and it still fits in this group.
This one was hanging out in our kitchen and when nudged descended to the kitchen bench.  Very sleepy.  I was quite impressed by the protrusions along its abdomen and the head/antenna are also attractive if the image is expanded.


The connection to the party can now be revealed.  While I was removing the remains of a balloon hung for the party from a tree I noticed a very spiffy beetle perched on a nearby stumpette.  In view of its red and black attire I shall call it a Bomber Beetle (but I am not encouraging you to buy the guernsey as illustrated).  It moved around very quickly (unlike most members of the Essendon AFC) but I was able to get a couple of pictures.

The final image is a sight that amused me.  It shows where a bunch of roos have jumped in a patch of mud and then - without wiping their feet (nor their tails) - have jumped across Whiskers Creek Rd.  I'm sure that if I dug up the road I could persuade someone that it is conceptual art (especially if it was signed Norm Layeel).
Around the house the 'roos are getting somewhat out of order.  A mob turned up on the lawn on Sunday night and I decided to persuade them to leave before their presence incited the small dog to riot.  So I lobbed my foam-finned footie towards them.  Did it scare them off?  It did not: in fact one hopped about 10m back towards the missile.  I though it was going to pick the projectile up and eat it! So I went for plan B and yelled at them.  Result: roos casually hopping off towards the bare hill and small dog mentally melting down indoors!

The final animal oriented bit of the day was that on a trip to the Bungendore tip (we don't get get Council garbage collection) I had an echidna walk across the road in front of me in two places.  One was very bold, strolling across Captains Flat Road and holding up the traffic.  I can't imagine that even a complete bogan would hit one of them.

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
Hi Martin
I have been slow to comment - busy doing "stuff".
Your insects are mostly "bugs" I believe.
The first is a Cicada I feel sure.
The last one is a Plant Hopper, known variously a a Gum Tree Hopper, or a "Common Jassid", apparently. At least that is in the right genus I think.
http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_planthoppers/CommonJassid.htm
.
Donald Hobern has a great site for moths of the Canberra regon.
Try this page for your geometric moth.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhobern/4446983764/in/set-72157604415035404/
Not sure about the long legged one, but it might be related to the tiny "Plume Moths" which hold their narrow wings out at 180 degrees.
Happy Christmas to you and your readers.
Denis

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.