Interesting bird events

The diversity of bird life around our house has been a little below standard in recent weeks.  A few migrants have yet to appear and several of the 'occasional' species haven't been sighted.  (While the MIA still have that status the more regular species have turned up very well this week, with 39 species being observed by day 6.) However there has been some interesting sightings recently.

The first episode occurred on 6 November.  This began with seeing a pair of Australian Ravens sitting on a fence over which I had thrown a recently departed rabbit.  Without going into details I was very sure it was not poisoned.  Some strange noises were coming from the Kunzea ericoides below the fence.  The local Magpies were attracted by the noises and started swooping: this chased an immature Wedge-tailed Eagle off the ground where it had presumably been dining on lapin au naturel.  The traditional circuit of my GBS site then followed with the Eagle doing its best to ignore the 4 Magpies and 2 Pied Currawongs assaulting it.

As this troupe passed back over head I noticed a Little Eagle quite high overhead, behaving in a strange manner.  It would soar up and then fold its wings and plummet for some distance: the cycle was repeated about 5 times in my view.  On reading the species account in HANZAB v 2 this appears to be the Undulating Flight which could be a breeding display but in this situation more likely to be agonistic behaviour (ie a threat).

Moving on to today (9 November) I was further up the block sorting out a gate I needed elsewhere when my attention was attracted to some screaming cries.  On looking up I saw a group of 4 Brown Falcons soaring over the block.  From the range of sizes I suspect this was a family group.  They were having a lovely time in the thermals until a Pied Currawong decided to harass them.  Some nice aerobatics followed until they all moved out of sight.

On the subject of Pied Currawongs the young have fledged from the nest in a Yellow Box on our lawn.  This is a Very Good Thing since it means I can walk around in the vicinity of the house without getting swooped.

The final item is also Excellent.  I located the family of Tawny Frogmouths.  Actually this wasn't hard as three of them (Dad and the two chicks) were sitting on a rail fence right beside a gate we use use several times a day.  How it took me until early afternoon to spot them I have no idea.  Mum was about 5m away sitting in one of the Yellow Box roosts they use during the year.  Here are a couple of images: not only are they very photogenic but also very tolerant of humanity.


I am sure a good competition could be staged to suggest what the young ones are thinking!

Comments

Wally said…
I love reading about the birds that live around other people's homes. The photos of the Tawny Frogmouths are wonderful!
Denis Wilson said…
Hi Martin
Lovely post. Loved the comment about the rabbit having died of natural causes (not poisoned).
Your Frogmouths clearly have not yet learned that sitting so low down on a fence is hardly good camouflage. But what a photo opportunity?
Left hand youngster is clearly saying: "Dad thinks he's invisible - but I can see you looking at us all. I can't be bothered pretending!"
Denis

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.