Australasian Grebes on the top dam

A few weeks ago when passing by our top dam I noticed an Australasian Grebe's nest in it.  This is quite a usual event at this time of year, with the only 'odd' thing being the position of the nest in more or less open water rather than under the brambles at the Northern end of the dam.  I have been slightly concerned that the adults appeared to spend quite a lot of time off the nest and the weather hadn't been particularly warm.

However all is extra-well.  Yesterday while dong some brush-cutting elsewhere in the paddock I heard the whistling calls of the young (obviously, not when the brush-cutter was running).  On looking down I could see both adults and 3 juveniles.  Whoo hoo!!

This morning I went back with my camera t see what could be snapped.  On my arrival the cupboard (or at least dam) was bare.  I then noticed some movement in the NW corner of the dam and on stealthily arriving there found an adult swimming towards a juvenile with a mouthful of something (possibly a small frog - they are not in short supply this year).   When the birds spotted me the young one dove, while the adult sprinted for deeper water.
Things then settled down a tad and I got the following series of images.


Eventually an Eastern Long-necked Tortoise poked its head out of the water (not for long enough for a photo) and reported "all's well" to the rest of the dam.  This permitted the other two chicks to appear at the far end of the dam.
This site is, of course, totally dedicated to the abolition of anthropomorphisms.

On 15 January 2011 I was in the area again and noticed what appeared to be some new chicks. (Click to enlarge image and see all 3 young)
I enquired on the COG Chatline about the likely fate of the first bunch of chicks and got a very comprehensive answer from one of the expert members of the group.  In summary, the dates fit for this being a second brood and the first brood would have been independent by now.

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
Nice report, Martin.
Don't let any linguistic bullies get you down.
Denis

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.