Detailed orchid bits!

On our morning walk today (12 October) we discovered a pink not-caladenia.  This caused Frances to mention an email she had received from a band of Canberra orchid hunters giving details of how to differentiate Petalochilus fuscatus from P.carneus.  When she sent the site on to me it was, of course, a link to the excellent page on the Nature of Robertson.  Another friend had also commented on the high quality of that page.

So I returned with camera in hand.  Even before taking the photograph I could see the wings of the labellum were incurved making it P fuscatus.  Despite not needing to add to the clutter of hyperspace I thought this image is rather pleasant.
It doesn't show the yellow 'clubs' as clearly as Denis' image but the calli are clear enough.

Almost next to this plant was a Hymenochilus cycnocephalus.  Despite whacking the spike several times trying to remove grass etc from my line of sight the labellum didn't trigger so I got a good shot to confirm the ID.  I have also included another image of this species from a set of plants about 30m away, showing a side on view.

Note that as I haven't used captions these should be clickable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.