Cyanicula caerulea etc

This morning (22 September) I responded to Denis Wilson's post about bird orchids to the effect that we had lots of orchid leaves here but nothing in flower.  Then I took the small dog for a walk and found a blue orchid, which used to be called Caladenia caerulea but was then subject to taxonomic adjustment (the politest word I can think of) but is now known as Cyanicula caerulea. I took Frances back to show her - we had only ever seen 1 of this species on our property - and found about 50!!  YOWZA!

Here are some images:
Note the white spots leading the pollinators in!

This gives an indication of the density of the plants!
After that exciting start to the day we went on the ANPS Wednesday Walk to the Bullen Range.  Here we found Golden Moths (Diuris chryseopsis) and the pink not-caladenia (Petalochilus fuscatus).
Diuris chryseopsis
A Petalochilus fuscatus
A couple of days later (24 September) I found a Golden Moth on our property.  This may be the first of these I have ever seen here.

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
Hi Martin
Glad they turned out to be the Blue Caladenia. They're lovely little plants.
I took photos of the Glossodia minor today. Ridiculously "minor" - only two inches high, and as small as my fingernail.
Love the Golden Moths too.
I am jealous of that one.
Cheers
Denis

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.