Carn the Mudchooks!

Ever since we have lived out here I have supported the Bungendore Mudchooks Rugby Union team.  This is both because I reckon it is a brilliant name and they are the local team.  Today they played in the Grand Final of their competition and as they had gone through the season undefeated it was played at their home ground, which is known :as:
  • the Mick Sherd Oval, Bungendore; or
  • the Coop of Pain.
The day was forecast as being a bit damp.   In fact it micturated down from about 2am and I was a tad concerned about being able to get across Whiskers Creek to get to the game.  In fact it was fine.
 Passing on down Widgiewa Rd I came across an Eastern Snake-necked Tortoise (Chelodina longicollis) crossing the road.  I took a snap on full zoom which got the idea of the long neck and another, clearer shot of the carapace when I got closer.  See below.  I shifted it across the road to prevent it getting splatted.
.
I passed on to the crossing over the Molonglo River which was surprisingly open and the water was nowhere near the level of the road.  There was a lot of run-off further on but it wasn't a problem.

So I got to the oval and found there were about 900 other folk there to enjoy the pouring rain, strong winds and a game of Rugby Union.   I was wearing a Goretex parka and a cheap farm hat:  reflecting the class of supporter many others were wearing Drizabone jackets and Akubra hats.  (I find Drizabones too sweaty and my Akubra is too valuable to wear in pouring rain.)
Note the natty jacket on the dog!
So then the teams came out, looking as dry and colourful as the would all day.
Chooks  left, Boorowa right
I won't comment in detail on the game, other than to note the final result (Chooks 30, Boorowa 6) seemed to be a pretty fair reflection of the skill level displayed.  It was a damn fine game.  Here are a couple of actionish shots that also show the state of the ground.  (One of the later tries was the result of the Chooks player aquaplaning from about 10m out!)

I would single out the halfback (#9) and one of the wingers (#22) of the 'Chooks as particularly exciting to watch.  Also the tight-head prop (#1) for Boorowa deserves a mention as looking close to my age but wayabove my level of skill (at any age).

Getting back towards home I found the Molonglo River had risen more than somewhat to 0.4m which was a tad too deep to risk as another option existed.  Buggah.  An extra 25km and across our creek which had risen somewhat, but was still easily passable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.